Building a Jarcat 6 - Setup
Stacks Image 12
Time to continue on to the next project!!!
 After searching for a suitable small yacht or yacht design on the web Marg and I travelled to Brisbane to see some second hand yachts and meet Ross Turner who has designed several catamarans. I had picked out several small yachts to look at and had decided that if any were suitable I would buy it.
 We stopped in to see Ross on the way north to Newport. He showed us over his CC29 which was moored in the river near his home. What a stable craft! We walked along the pontoon jetty - which swayed on its supports and stepped up onto the catamaran. The boat did not move or rock. The interior was certainly roomy for the size of the craft and the central cockpit imparted a sense of security. Marg was totally impressed by the stability.
 We ventured north to inspect the second hand yachts. We looked at a 27 foot Searle moored at Newport. The yacht seemed shipworthy enough but the previous owner had painted it with house paint to the extent of painting over the perspex hatches. When we stepped onto the yacht it rocked away from the jetty and as we moved about on the boat it rocked from side to side. Marg made the decision - we didn't need to look any further . She wanted a catamaran solely based on the stability at rest.
 After thinking over all the issues - where to build; trailerable or not - non trailerable meant finding and renting a mooring near where we live; cost ; I decided to build the Jarcat 6 , a 6 metre trailerable catamaran designed by Ross Turner. We called in on Ross the following day and purchased the plans - No. 212.
 Having perused the plans and part list I chased up suppliers. The Jarcat 6 is constructed of plywood and is sheathed in fibreglass cloth with epoxy resin. Having had such good service from Boatcraft Pacific for Marg's dinghy I approached them for a quote to supply materials for my new project. They already had a standard quote for the Jarcat available and so I ordered most of the ply and resin materials.
 I wanted to keep the weight of the catamaran as low as I could and decided on western red cedar for the scantlings. There was only one local source for this timber - a joinery that apparently put down supplies of cedar years ago and has been supplying it from their stock since then.
 The order from Boatcraft arrived pronto as usual. I had to wait several weeks for the cedar as it had to be cut and dressed. The timber supplied was to the joinery's standard sizes as they charged more to dress it down to the sizes in the plan. I planned to cut down the oversize sections myself.
 I set about constructing the strongback on which to build the hulls in the carport. I used pine studs held together with large roofing screws for this structure and set it up square and level on the concrete floor. ( I used bluetack under the legs to hold them in position.)